Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Other Anger


I had mentioned in a prior post that I would talk about an anger at a particular thing that has stayed with me longer than any of my other anger issues. That is my anger at god.

I was born and raised a good Jewish boy. My family was not particularly religious though I know that I had a great-grandfather who was a marvelous cantor back in Russia. I would probably be described as a reform Jew growing up. I didn't go to temple every Saturday, but I did attend a Yeshiva for Kindergarten. I was circumcised (when I was 4, and yes, I do remember it). I went to Hebrew school and I read from the Torah for my barmitzvah. I went to Temple on Yom Kippur. I also fasted on Yom Kippur. I didn't eat bread on Passover. I followed the really big rules but ignored most of them. There was no way I was going to be Kosher, I love sausage and bacon too much.

As I got older, my minor religious beliefs waned. I started to think of myself as more of an agnostic than as a reform Jew. Did god exist? Who knows? I couldn't answer it one way or another. But out of respect to my parents, I continued to participate in the Yom Kippur and Passover rituals.

When Melissa and I got married, we had a Rabbi officiate the wedding, though we had a reform style ceremony (Melissa did not circle me 7 times). Most of the ceremony was in English but with a little bit of Hebrew thrown in.

And then we had Dylan.

How could God allow this to happen to my son? How could an omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent, being do something so horrible to this beautiful baby boy. Where was the love for humanity that god is supposed to show. How could god do this to this beautiful innocent baby boy.

How could I believe in or pray to a being who would do something so horrible, so evil. After thinking on this topic for some time, I realized that there were only 3 possibilities for god.


1. God intentionally did this to my son.

If God intentionally maimed my child, intentionally made it so that he would never walk or talk or be able to show true emotion, then he is an evil horrible monster. No different than any murderer, pedophile, or rapist in all of human history. No, he is worse than all of them combined. He has intentionally maimed hundreds of millions of human beings.

Does he do so for some perverse sense of pleasure or does he do so to send the rest of us a message. If he does so to send us a message, that is like me maiming one of my children so that the rest would behave well. That would be the act of a maniac. Only a truly evil piece of garbage would do such a thing. If this is what god does, why would I ever believe in such a thing, let alone pray to it. It would be no different than praying to Hitler or Stalin.

I know what some people who read this will say. "God works in mysterious ways". That to me is just a cop out. Its like the people who defended Mussolini, because he made the trains run on time. If god is such an amazing being, he should be held to a much higher standard than the ones we humans give to ourselves. Instead, he is given no standard whatsoever. We hold people in authority to a higher standard than we do the general populous. Shouldn't the ultimate authority be held to the absolute highest standard?

I look at Holocaust survivors and wonder how they can stay religious. In some way, I can understand that. God supposedly gave us free will. Therefore he does not control the actions of our fellow man. Thus they can maintain their beliefs, because god did not do it to them, god did not want to do it to them. It was through the evil of other free willed individuals that they suffered. Therefore, God cannot be held at fault for the Shoah. Thus they can maintain their faith.
This argument doesn't work with a new born child. Dylan wasn't maimed by a negligent doctor. His mother didn't smoke crack while she was pregnant. His father didn't beat the mother to cause some sort of birth defect. Every human in his life did everything they could so that he could be a happy healthy normal child.
The only being in his life who harmed him was god. If that is the case than I can only feel hatred and scorn and venom towards someone who would do this to my child.


2. God neither has the power nor the interest in us.

This assumes that God might have been the creator of the universe, but pretty much since the big bang, has shown either very little or no interest in humanity. God simply does not care about us.

Much in the same way that I don't particularly care about the single celled organisms that might exist on my hands. When I wash them, I might be killing these single celled organisms. Do I even consider their lives or their fate for even a second? Of course not. What is a single celled organism to me and why should I bother caring about it.

So in the same way, God is so much above us, that we are simply too far beneath his notice and he simply does not care about us. The best analogy of this was the ending to the movie "Men in Black", where they show that our entire universe is just some child's marble. What is the point of praying to or believing in such a child. The child doesn't care in the least about me, so why should I care in the least about it.

Its like paying rent to an absentee landlord. The landlord neither expects the rent money or cares if they receive it or not. Your payments make absolutely no difference whatsoever. So why bother paying, or in this case, why bother praying or believing.


3. There is no God.

There never has been a god. God is a fictional creation of man to give us comfort from the things we don't understand. There is no grand creator. There is no master plan. There is no one for me to pray for. There is no heavenly being for me to believe in. There is no heaven. There is no hell. There is just the here and now.

There is no one for me to blame for what happened to my son. Shit happens. Life and the Universe is just about coincidence. Dylan having Emanuel Syndrome was just one of those coincidences.

This is the belief that I finally accepted. For me to accept the first 2 would have kept me in a permanent state of anger at a being that I could do nothing to. What would have been the point to that.

Thus once I accepted the third choice, my anger went away.

For the people who are reading this who have religious faith, who are insulted by what I have said, don't be. I am not pushing my beliefs on you. I do not expect that my words will have swayed your beliefs. I do not look down on you for your faith. If your faith brings you comfort, then I am happy for you.

So please be happy for me that my lack of faith brings me comfort...



6 comments:

Patyrish said...

Oh how I struggled with God after Makily was born. I HATED him. I felt like he was laughing at me. It was a very difficult time.

I read all of your thoughts and many of them mirrored the thoughts that plagued my head for a long time.

We all have to find a sense of balance and reasoning behind what has happened to our children.

While I have a stronger faith in God then before I am not at all offended by this entry. It's raw and real and exactly what has gone through my mind on the darkest days. Days when I wondered if Makily would live and what kind of life she was to have.

jen said...

Thank you for putting it out there. Thank you for having the courage and strength of conviction to say what you really think. I feel this way at times too. Then I feel guilty as if it is some injustice to my son for my thoughts. I struggle with feeling like his life, the life he will have, is not worth living. There are enough smiles and milestones between these thoughts to keep me going. I truly understand your position.

Stephanie Rese (St-Pierre) said...

Oleg - my, I think we went on a very similar journey - we'll talk :)

Andy said...

Oleg, thanks for these continuing entries. Over these past weeks I've learned much from your blog.

As to this one, it comes to mind that there's a fourth thread of thought available : that each of us, ourselves before birth, chooses the major opportunities and challenges in our lives. God's role might be to say, are you really, really sure you want to take this on?

"If so, I'm not going to let you experience this without support. Choose now a bunch of your close spirit friends to be with you and surround you. I'll send other angels along the way." And we all agree to be with each other.

This is how I approach life. In those moments of being overwhelmed or exhausted I can imagine myself as here by choice, not chance, and that's a help.

Christopher Hightower said...

After having a tough conversation with my wife about our son Jackson (who was diagnosed with Emanuel's shortly after he was born) she asked me to check out your blog. It has been the most difficult situation I have ever found myself in. I truly love my son but I question why he has been seemingly forsaken. I have held on to my personal faith but it doesn't resemble the faith of most that live around me. There is a truism into what you have written. Once you stop trying so hard to rationalize the why, you can begin to move along. Even if the road you are going down is rarely traveled it is one that every day will present you with challenges and opportunities. Thanks for writing the blog because as a father I feel like there is no one else around me that could possibly understand how I feel. After reading several of your posts I no longer feel so alone. I would like to continue some sort of dialogue so please contact me via e-mail at chightower2@mac.com.
Thanks Again,
Chris Hightower

Anonymous said...

Oleg,

I have to say your post on "The Other Anger" definitely hits a cord. Not so much with my personal faith, b/c I have my own thoughts on this subject. What I do find offensive is other people's insistence to me that this is "god's plan" for me. How dare they suggest such a thing? How dare they force their faith on me and my son? I am often told that "God knew I could handle this" how on earth did go "know" that and what about the thousands of unwanted children in orphanges and institutions, not to mention those who died b/c they were born different? What is the matter with these people and where do they even find justification to say such offensive things to someone? When I resist their opinions, they become offended! Of all the gall. I hasten to say that if God knew I was special you can be darn well sure I will discontinue my "specialness" b/c I would never wish the hardships my son has to bear on anyone so I can be special. The point is there is no reasoning to this and those who have not traveled this road may say such offensive things without meaning to be, but I have to wonder in the back of my mind if they are really saying "Thank God" that didn't happen to ME! Of course they are. I ask people to refrain from pushing their comfort zone on to me and my son.